About this Show

The Last Word

News/Business. (2013)

NETWORK

DURATION
01:00:00

RATING

SCANNED IN
Annapolis, MD, USA

SOURCE
Comcast Cable

TUNER
Port 1235

VIDEO CODEC
mpeg2video

AUDIO CODEC
mp2

PIXEL WIDTH
720

PIXEL HEIGHT
480

TOPIC FREQUENCY

Zimmerman 14, Trayvon Martin 7, Edward Snowden 7, Spiriva 6, Dustin Hoffman 5, Us 5, Venezuela 4, Florida 4, Mr. Martin 4, Kevin 4, Phillips 4, Cecile Richards 4, Snowden 4, Dr. Di Maio 4, United States 3, Copd 3, Usaa 3, George Zimmerman 3, Douglas Mcnabb 3, France 3,
Borrow a DVD
of this show
  MSNBC    The Last Word    News/Business.  (2013)  

    July 10, 2013
    1:00 - 2:00am EDT  

1:00am
word" with lawrence o'donnell. today was a 13-hour court day in the george zimmerman trial. and tomorrow could be the last day of testimony. >> the defense in the george zimmerman trial continued outlining its case this morning. court is back in session in the george zimmerman trial. >> by calling a forensic pathologist. >> their third day of calling witnesses to the stand. >> to analyze the gunshot that killed trayvon martin. >> testimony has just wrapped up from a forensic pathologist. >> the defense turns to the forensic pathologist for the evidence of the shooting. >> the muzzle of the gun is against closing -- >> that is part of the firing process. >> there will be a hole made in
1:01am
the clothing. >> this is the kind of hard scientific evidence that jurors tend to like. >> most of the morning, however, was consumed with a hearing without the jury. >> the court is hearing several motions. >> the animation of zimmerman's events. >> the 11th day of testimony in the george zimmerman trial. >> it is day three of the defense testimony. >> the case is just now days away from wrapping up. >> both sides are making their closing arguments shortly thereafter. >> george zimmerman's defense team today literally called on the man who wrote the book on forensic pathology, dr. vincent demayo, testified the testimony is consistent. >> the marks and the size of the
1:02am
pattern, it is my opinion that the muzzle of the gun in the case was two to four inches away from the skin. so the barrel of the gun was against the clothing, the muzzle of the gun was against the clothing. but the clothing itself had to be two to four inches away from the body at the time mr. martin was shot. so the wound itself, by the gap, by the powder tattooing in the face of contact of the clothing indicate -- indicates that this is consistent with mr. zimmerman's account that he -- that mr. martin was over him. leaning forward at the time he was shot.
1:03am
>> dr. di maio testified he believes that zimmerman had at least six injuries on his head and that some of those injuries could have been caused by hitting against concrete. >> i think you have six identifiable injuries. the two lacerations on the back of the head. the impacts in both temple regions. that is four, the nose is five, and the forehead is six. so there is definite evidence of six impacts. that does not mean that there were only six. >> here is dr. di maio under examination by the prosecution. >> i'm saying that the physical evidence is consistent with mr. martin being over mr. zimmerman. >> and is it not also consistent with mr. martin's pulling away from zimmerman on the ground, and you would have the same angle. he is pulling away, and zimmerman is shooting him at that time?
1:04am
>> yes. >> let me make sure, i understand what you're saying. that you can hit somebody and not leave any bruising on your knuckles, is that correct? >> that is correct, sir. >> in other words, george zimmerman could have hit trayvon martin and not leave any bruising on his knuckles. >> that is correct, sir. >> a photograph at the scene, i apologize, you have blood there. i put the hand over that, right? >> okay, yes. >> what do you expect my hand to have on it? >> blood. >> joining me now, msnbc legal analyst, lisa bloom, and a former homicide prosecutor. lisa bloom, the big testimony of the day, what is your overall assessment of how that went in? >> i think it went in very well for the defense because the prosecution didn't go for the jugular. >> what should they have gone for? >> he was not familiar with the
1:05am
hoodies, all the testimony showed was that the bullet touched the edge of the fabric, which was about two inches from trayvon martin's body. why? because he is wearing two inches of baggy sweat shirt, he could have been down and bunched up. >> he has two baggy sweat shirts on, which sweat shirt was he talking about? >> the outer one. >> the outer one has to be at least two inches away. >> and he demonstrates with the men's shirt, which is of course fitted. to do the demonstration he has to pull it out. it was the most unscientific, ridiculous demonstration, i would have nailed him on that. dr. di maio, he said that in his testimony, scientific testimony to prove your theories is that important that you would kill innocent animals. all right, did you do testing on hoodies? did you go out and buy them, put
1:06am
them on a guy the size of trayvon martin, have him move around, see if it touches his body? no, he didn't do any of that, before he came in and testified on behalf of the accused murderer. i thought this was really shocking on cross examination. >> gary casimir, i was struck, too, about how much rhetorical excess, he said i can rip your heart out and you can run down the street. and nobody said to him, when did you ever see somebody's heart ripped out by hand? i mean, i have seen lawyers when guys take the lead off the bag like that i have seen lawyers really cut them down. >> i think the prosecution did go after him and ask him, with reference to the idea, ripping your heart out, you can keep running -- i think the defense established very well, today was their day. the scientific evidence tends to show that zimmerman was below,
1:07am
and that trayvon martin was on top. the distance was very short whether it is two or three inches or four or five won't make that much difference in the jury's mind. because what happened, the defense is trying to establish that zimmerman was on the ground, he was sort of in the defensive position and losing the fight. the testimony that he is giving is consistent with the guy, leaning back and shooting up. that is important for the defense, nobody can deny it. >> ken, if that was what was important for the defense, what is important for the prosecution in that testimony and working backwards from what we just saw? how about that final moment where we just saw the blood on zimmerman's face, trayvon martin's hands are supposed to be on his face, trying to muffle the ability to make any sounds at all and no blood on trayvon martin's hands? >> it was a good point and they needed to bring out some points. but i was disappointed in the cross examination by the prosecution, i prosecuted 35
1:08am
first degree murder trials here in florida and the first thing i do in a high publicity case, is hire my top expert to help me formulate questions for cross examination. because you can't go toe to toe with an expert of this caliber. this was a dream witness for the defense, he had a resume longer than rapunzel's hair. and the cross-examination really kind of fell flat. they didn't make the points they needed to make. the defense had a fantastic day with this witness. >> i think we could have gone toe to toe with him, you know, he talked about testifying in the phil spector case, i would have said you were retained by accused murderer, phil spector, weren't you? you were prepared to say that she killed herself? how did that case come out.
1:09am
it turned out he was found not guilty not withstanding your testimony, in other words he didn't believe you. how about the drew peterson case, you testified in that case? how did that turn out, he was convicted, as well. in other words, the jury again didn't believe your testimony. >> lisa, that sounds really good, no judge is going to let testimony in from another case. the best answer to the science is, you don't know hoodies, doctor, i don't think you're getting very far. >> all right, let's listen to dr. di maio on how long trayvon martin could have been conscious after this bullet. >> if i, right now, reached across and put my hand through your chest, grabbed your heart and ripped it out you could stand there and talk to me for ten to 15 seconds or walk over to me. because the thing that is controlling your movement and ability to speak is the brain. and that has a reserve supply of
1:10am
ten to 15 seconds. >> ken patowitz, what was the net effect of his testimony about what trayvon martin was physically capable of after that bullet entered his body? >> well, it was very effective, because the defense was trying to show how trayvon martin could have moved his hand under his body and support george zimmerman's account of what happened. but the problem is, like all experts, that some people may say was a cocky statement by the expert. because the prosecution would say how many people have had their hearts ripped out and walk down the street? and you could ask six more questions like that to expose the fact this doctor is going too far. extending himself too far, and calling his credibility, some of his questions into play. they really didn't make that much traction. >> i want to say something, the defense here was trying to
1:11am
establish after the shot, zimmerman said that trayvon martin stated something to the effect, you got me, or you had him. and that was the point, seconds of statement here. i don't think they're trying to prove that trayvon martin was still fighting on defending himself. >> its not important. >> it -- >> we don't have the toxicology report in the case of trayvon martin having some marijuana in his system. which is a very interesting component at that level, anyway, of consciousness under these situations. if there is an effect of any kind from this marijuana, it couldn't animate him more. >> right, if marijuana is known as a depressant, and trayvon martin is walking down the street, talking with rachel jeantel, that could not have been the guy punching george zimmerman. >> thank you very much for joining me tonight.
1:12am
all of you. thank you. coming up, cecile richards will join us with the latest from texas and the legislative fight over women's reproductive freedom there. and there is news tonight from wikileaks, indicating tomorrow will be a big day for edward snowden. and in the rewrite tonight, a classic american movie rewritten by its star, dustin hoffman. in his own words you will hear the material on the road to discovery, the essence of the character. and in this case, the character he was playing was a woman in "tootsie." and the moment that he discovered, that brought him and maybe you to tears. vo: traveling you definitely end up meeting a lot more people but a friend under water is something completely different. i met a turtle friend today so, you don't get that very often. it seemed like it was more than happy to have us in his home.
1:13am
so beautiful. avo: more travel. more options. more personal. whatever you're looking for expedia has more ways to help you find yours. since aflac is helping with his expenses while he can't work, he can focus on his recovery. he doesn't have to worry so much about his mortgage, groceries, or even gas bills. kick! kick... feel it! feel it! feel it! nice work! ♪ you got it! you got it! yes! aflac's gonna help take care of his expenses. and us...we're gonna get him back in fighting shape. ♪ [ male announcer ] see what's happening behind the scenes at aflac.com.
1:14am
when florida governor rick scott signed a bill banning internet cafe slots, he may have banned all computers in the state of florida, the legislature passed the bill
1:15am
after lieutenant governor carroll resigned in disgrace after a charity she was involved in was allegedly using the place for internet gambling. but the bill was written so poorly that it defines slot machines as a accept or network or devices that may be used in a game of chance. a lawsuit by the owner who now is losing her business claims that the definition is so broad that it bans any computer or device in the state of florida, which is connected to the internet like you know, even one of these. so when people do not respect the complexities of government write legislation, mistakes will be made. up next, republicans in texas don't know how to write legislation either. but that has never stopped them. cecile richards will join me
1:16am
next. asional have constipation,
1:17am
diarrhea, gas, bloating? yes! one phillips' colon health probiotic cap each day helps defend against these digestive issues... with three strains of good bacteria. [ phillips' lady ] live the regular life. phillips'. breaking news in texas, just moments ago, republicans in the
1:18am
texas house provisionally reproofed a restriction anti-abortion bill after ten hours of debate today. a final formal vote in the house is scheduled for tomorrow. the texas republican's failed attempt to pass the bill last month captured national attention and put wendy davis into a national political star after her successful filibuster. it also brought attention to the person who sponsored the bill, representative jodie laubenberg, you remember her. >> we have hospital emergency rooms. we have funded what is called rape kits that will help a woman basically -- >> today, on the floor, two of her democratic colleagues kind
1:19am
of tried to help her understand. >> the author of this bill stated that a rape kit was used to clean a woman out. a rape kit is used for forensic evidence. >> do you know what a rape kit looks like? >> yes, i do. >> do you see anything in these envelopes that would potentially allow for cleaning a woman out? >> not at all. >> but, it turns out rape kits are not all the author of the texas anti-abortion bill is confused about. >> and i want to call your attention to page four of the bill. because i'm confused by this section. line 24. except as otherwise provided by section 171.046 a-3, a physician performing an abortion shall terminate the pregnancy in a
1:20am
manner that with the physician's reasonable medical judgment provides the best opportunity for the unborn child to survive. what does that mean? >> what is your question? >> what does it mean? >> okay, it means that if the physician determines that the pregnancy through -- is going to -- >> i'm sorry, i can't hear your answer. >> cause the life of the mother, then he would do the abortion in the way that would not -- >> not result in an abortion. >> no, try to save the baby, he would do the termination in a way -- let me rephrase that. >> you know that doesn't make sense, the termination of the pregnancy but that would result in non-termination of a pregnancy. >> that was texas representative e. sarah davis, a republican, the lone republican to vote against the anti-abortion bill. if the bill is passed tomorrow
1:21am
it will go to the state senate, where wendy davis and her allies are ready to stand with women. joining me now, cecile richards, president of the planned parenthood action fund. she is with the texas women. so cecile, we just had this action in the house. what do you anticipate happening tomorrow? >> well, we are on this bus tour with a lot of the senators who have been fighting against this bill for months now. and we stopped here tonight in houston, more than a thousand people greeted the senators. now, we're on to dallas and ft. worth and we're basically taking this bus around to the state of texas. what the democrats have asked for is a hearing so that people's voices could be heard in this debate. and yet they have been shut down at every instance, and the house has reported an almost strict party line bill, an approval of a vote that will close dozens of
1:22am
health centers in the state of texas. but i have never seen in my years of organizing, the kind of outpouring and concern, people waiting hours and hours to testify before the legislature against this bill and this legislation. >> cecile, you must be encountering in your travels on the bus in texas opponents of your position. supporters of this bill. and what i am wondering about is the kind of ignorance, just basic raw ignorance that is being demonstrated by the sponsor of the bill, not understanding what rape kits are. not understanding what happens after rape when it is investigated. thinking -- >> right. >> thinking now, as the bill says that there is a way to perform an abortion to save the life of the fetus, are you encountering that kind of ignorance out there when you find yourself in discussions with supporters of the bill?
1:23am
>> actually, no, what we're finding is that there is overwhelming opposition to this bill, all across the state. and that is, of course, why we're trying to make sure that folks are heard. in fact, i know you spoke about the lone republican who voted against this bill whose amendment failed. in fact, every amendment has failed, the amendment trying to protect the life of women and also ensuring that rape victims can have access to legal and safe abortions. that failed, as well. i think what happens here the bill couldn't get passed because it was so extreme. couldn't get passed in the regular session or the last special session, now, they're trying to move it without the approval of democrats because they know it is wildly unpopular. i see signs here saying that americans who oppose this bill, we're hearing from texans all across the state saying this party and extreme legislation is unrecognizable to them as
1:24am
republicans and assistance tans. >> cecile, their strategic plan for passing this bill did not include this kind of attention as you just suggested. they tried to get this done in a way that would just slide by. now that it has gotten national attention, now that you're there with all of your supporters and you got the bus tour going, have the tactics changed on the other side in trying to pass the bill? >> i think all they're trying to do, lawrence, at this point, just get it done as quickly as they can. they have tried to shut people down from testifying. i mean, we have had people waiting hours and hours at the capital and then deny the ability to testify. they're just trying to get this done and over with. because they know that if it is in the news and people understand what is at stake for the women of texas, the more opposition is growing.
1:25am
and that is what we're seeing. in the capital and on the road. and i think, of course, ultimately, their concern, the folks pushing this bill forward they're concerned it will have severe political consequences. and i think it is, in the state of texas. again, not just democrats, republicans, independents, young people, we see folks who say we can't believe we'll go back to the day when abortion was unavailable for women in the state of texas. >> cecile richards, on the stand with women tour. thank you for joining us, cecile. >> good to see you, lawrence, thank you. up next, wikileaks has promised big news about edward snowden tomorrow. t miss out... you sat out most of our game yesterday! asthma doesn't affect my job... you were out sick last week. my asthma doesn't bother my family... you coughed all through our date night! i hardly use my rescue inhaler at all. what did you say? how about - every day?
1:26am
coping with asthma isn't controlling it. test your level of control at asthma.com, then talk to your doctor. there may be more you could do for your asthma. the ones getting involved and staying engaged. they're not afraid to question the path they're on. because the one question they never want to ask is "how did i end up here?" i started schwab for those people. people who want to take ownership of their investments, like they do in every other aspect of their lives.
1:27am
the house caught fire and we were out on the streets. [ whispering ] shhh. it's only a dream. and we have home insurance. but if we made a claim, our rate would go up... [ whispering ] shhh. you did it right. you have allstate claim rate guard so your rates won't go up just because of a claim. [ whispering ] are we still in a dream? no, you're in an allstate commercial.
1:28am
so get allstate home insurance with claim rate guard... [ whispering ] goodnight. there are so many people in our bedroom. [ dennis ] talk to an allstate agent... [ doorbell rings ] ...and let the good life in.
1:29am
in the spotlight tonight, the edward snowden travel plan, a couple of big deletes had to happen today, first, a russian senior parliament member tweeted snowden had accepted an assignment in venezuela, then deleted that tweet. and wikileaks tweeted that snowden had not yet accepted asylum in venezuela. and then wikileaks deleted that tweet. and then tonight, wikileaks tweeted this. tomorrow, the first phase of edward snowden's flight of liberty campaign will be launched. no word on whether that is a fundraising campaign to pay for what could be a very expensive trip from russia.
1:30am
moscow to venezuela is 6,000 miles by air, unless the plane is diverted by the united states and its allies who could deny access to their air spaces. that is what france and portugal did because of the mere suspicion that edward snowden might be on board. and that plane was then forced to land in austria. scheduling a trip could cost over $80,000. and the private jet company could lose the right to operate in the united states after transporting the known fugitive. joining me now, known criminal defense lawyer douglas mcnabb, and the foreign affairs analyst, steve clemens. steve, do you have any sense of what the wikileaks tweet means for tomorrow? i mean, it says the flight of liberty campaign.
1:31am
is that a flight that is going to happen tomorrow? >> we don't know if this -- yeah, we don't know if this is misinformation. and to be candid, anything we offered would be speculation. there is information saying that havana is one of the only by-points that he could possibly get to, to re-fuel, that is not far away, of course, from caracas, we don't know the exact countries, bolivia, venezuela, offering edward snowden asylum. so there is a lot out there we don't know and i don't know anymore than anyone else. >> douglas mcnabb, let's talk about what we do know of how you would actually try to pull off a flight in a situation like this. what are the possibilities? >> well, he is going to take a flight. either it would be a private jet. it would be a commercial airlines.
1:32am
or perhaps a presidential plane. if he were to -- to take a private jet as you had indicated that could be very, very expensive. i read that somewhere in the neighborhood of $22,500 an hour, so somebody has to pay for that. there are questions whether it is a private or presidential plane flying over air space may be denied, whether over the u.s. or a european state. >> and what would happen if you deny the plane the right to fly through your air space and the plane still chooses to fly through your air space? what options exist then, douglas? >> well, that is the stuff of movies. so if -- if a presidential plane, for example, is approaching the air space of let's say france, for example, and the french traffic controller says you're not allowed to enter our air space,
1:33am
and the presidential plane does so anyway, could france send up some jets? i guess they could do that. could the jets sort of then caution the plane that the plane needed to land? they could do that, i guess. if the plane didn't and continued on and if the plane felt threatened, might we see jets coming from ecuador or argentina or some other -- because the latin countries were very, very upset with regard to how president morales of bolivia was treated. and president morales indicated that he felt like his life was threatened. and so i can see jets screaming from south america on up to try to protect their latin comrades. so it could get very, very messy. >> well, let's listen to what president obama said he is not willing to do in the pursuit of edward snowden.
1:34am
>> no, i'm not going to be scrambling jets to get a 29-year-old hacker. >> steve clemons, if the 29-year-old hacker is in the air as we just described, what should -- this is such a strange thing to contemplate occurring. but what should the united states's response be under all the circumstances we currently know about and with all the international sensitivities that we know about? >> look, that is the question we're all struggling about. in half of the view, snowden is a hero, somebody who triggered the debate in this country which the nation said we needed to have. which the united states said we needed to have. certainly president obama didn't initiative it himself. it is a national security bureaucracy. i think that is important, he has gone across the line in my view, sharing other information
1:35am
about the companies. we're in an area where the guy who allegedly believes in great liberalism refuge. the u.s. government long ago should have done something about the massive expansion of secrecy which has led to phenomenon like snowden and wikileaks. i think it is behind the ball on this. certainly, they need snowden to sort of go away. they're not going to get him back quickly unless something is done quite horrible to him. and i don't know to what degree he is going to continue to tell his story over and over again, but in my view, the president should look at the commission that looks at secrecy in this country, and how it is undermining much of what the country is about. even the president has intimated it. and then trying to take some of
1:36am
the pressure and the steam out of this particular man and to address the issues that this was about. >> mcnabb, one technical point, you always hear about they forced the jet to land. there is no actual way to force a jet to land without firing on it. i mean, they have all of these techniques where they fly close to them and they're basically giving them all the signals like you must land. and that is normally obeyed. but it does come down to a voluntary decision by the polite -- pilot of the plane that they're pursuing. >> and if the pilot decides not the land, what happens next. >> the presidential plane continues on its way, either flying through the french air space or another european air space. or some other action is going to be taken in an effort to try to stop him.
1:37am
and the concern, of course, as i had indicated earlier is what action are the other latin american countries going to take, as well. >> steve clemons, and douglas mcnabb, we're going to learn more about it tomorrow. thank you for joining us. coming up, dustin hoffman will take you inside this. this is must-see video of how one of america's great artists approaches his work. now, you probably didn't cry watching him in his oscar nominated performance in the movie tootsie, but you will see why he cried when he talked about that movie, 16 years after making the movie. in the rewrite, you will understand why. of course, that is in tonight's rewrite.
1:38am
wi drive a ford fusion. who is healthier, you or your car? i would say my car. probably the car. cause as you get older you start breaking down. i love my car. i want to take care of it. i have a bad wheel - i must say. my car is running quite well. keep your car healthy with the works. $29.95 or less after $10 mail-in rebate at your participating ford dealer. so you gotta take care of yourself? yes you do. you gotta take care of your baby? oh yeah! "that starts with one of the world's most advancedy," distribution systems," "and one of the most efficient trucking networks," "with safe, experienced drivers." "we work directly with manufacturers," "eliminating costly markups," "and buy directly from local farmers in every region of the country." "when you see our low prices, remember the wheels turning behind the scenes, delivering for millions of americans, everyday.
1:39am
"dedication: that's the real walmart" ♪ chances are, you're not made of money, so don't overpay for boat insurance. geico, see how much you could save. if you've got it, you know how hard it can be to breathe and man, you know how that feels. copd includes emphysema and chronic bronchitis. spiriva is a once-daily inhaled copd maintenance treatment that helps open my obstructed airways for a full 24 hours. you know, spiriva helps me breathe easier. spiriva handihaler tiotropium bromide inhalation powder does not replace fast-acting inhalers for sudden symptoms.
1:40am
tell your doctor if you have kidney problems, glaucoma, trouble urinating, or an enlarged prostate. these may worsen with spiriva. discuss all medicines you take, even eye drops. stop taking spiriva and seek immediate medical help if your breathing suddenly worsens, your throat or tongue swells, you get hives, vision changes or eye pain, or problems passing urine. other side effects include dry mouth and constipation. nothing can reverse copd. spiriva helps me breathe better. does breathing with copd weigh you down? don't wait to ask your doctor about spiriva. it got wicked hot in the boston courtroom today. >> a dramatic day in the trial of whitey bulger. a war of words between two old friends bringing the courtroom to a boiling point. the alleged crime boss swearing at a key witness there for the prosecutors. >> kevin weeks, who was once
1:41am
like a son to whitey, a son who whitey would of course eventually want to kill, kevin weeks has turned on whitey and testified for the government about the murders he helped whitey commit. because the trial is in federal court tragically we have no video of what happened in the court today. but i can assure you that nothing like it has ever happened in a boston courtroom before. during his testimony, kevin weeks said we killed people who were rats and i had two of the biggest rats right next to me. kevin weeks didn't realize at the time that whitey bulger and steve flemmi were both fbi informants. rats, when weeks referred to bulger as a rat in court today, the 83-year-old rat yelled to the witness, "you suck." to which kevin weeks yelled. f-u. and then bulger yelled in the courtroom, f-u, too! then weeks said what do you want
1:42am
to do? and the judge steps in and says hey, mr. bulger, let your attorney speak for you. mr. weeks, this is how it works, you answer the questions, okay? when whitey's lawyer asked weeks on the cross examination how he liked being called a rat now that he is testifying against his old partner in crime. weeks said why don't you call me it outside when it is just you and me and see what happens. weeks also says you can't rat on a rat. oh, yes, you can, and that happened in boston today. that is what happened, is two cowardly rats who could never feel tough without guns in their hands, they faced each other. they did their tough guy acts in a federal courtroom where they knew there was absolutely no risk that they might have to prove how tough they actually are without guns in their hands. the rat on the witness stand will continue to testify against
1:43am
the rat defendant tomorrow. the rewrite is next. and dustin hoffman is going to rewrite your understanding of one of his oscar-nominated performances . [ brent ] now steve's looking pretty good so far. [ herbie ] eh, hold on brent, what's this? mmmm, nice car. there's no doubt, that's definitely gonna throw him off. she's seen it too. oh this could be trouble. [ sentra lock noise ] oh man. gotta think fast, herbie. back pedal, back pedal. [ crowd cheering ] oh, he's down in flames and now the ice-cold shoulder. one last play... no, game over! gps take him to the dog house. [ male announcer ] make a powerful first impression. the all-new nissan sentra. ♪ [ whirring ] [ dog barks ] i want to treat more dogs. ♪ our business needs more cases. [ male announcer ] where do you want to take your business? i need help selling art. [ male announcer ] from broadband to web hosting to mobile apps, small business solutions from at&t have the security you need to get you there.
1:44am
call us. we can show you how at&t solutions can help you do what you do... even better. ♪ i have a great fit with my dentures. i love kiwis. i've always had that issue with the seeds getting under my denture. super poligrip free -- it creates a seal of the dentures in my mouth. even well-fitting dentures let in food particles. super poligrip is zinc free. with just a few dabs, it's clinically proven to seal out more food particles so you're more comfortable and confident while you eat. super poligrip free made the kiwi an enjoyable experience. [ charlie ] try zinc free super poligrip. made the kiwi an enjoyable experience. ok s o i' made the kiwi an enjoyable experience. 've been having with greek nonfat yogurt, loaded with protein 0% fat that thick creamy texture, i was in trouble. look i'm in a committed relationship with activia and i've been happy and so has my digestive system. now i'm even happier since activia greek showed up
1:45am
because now i get to have my first love and my greek passion together, what i call a healthy marriage. activia greek. the feel good greek. ♪ dannon in the rewrite tonight, it is movie night. the star of one of american's institute 100 greatest movies of all time, is going to rewrite that understanding. he began the decade with the oscar in kramer versus kramer, and closed it with "rainman." and in between, he was nominated for best actor for his role in "tootsie," where he played an out of work woman. he decided he would have a better chance auditioning for parts for women. here is that out of work actor
1:46am
tricking his own agent into believing that he is a woman. >> wait a minute, wait a minute, wait a minute. >> i'm new in town, and i'm awfully lonely, i wonder if you wouldn't mind buying me lunch. >> my favorite -- how are you? >> last time he got me a job -- >> swear to god? >> god, i begged you to get therapy. >> jesus christ. >> the agent was played flawlessly by the oscar winning director, sidney pollack, who was actually nominated for the director. jessica lange won the best actress for a supporting role. the brilliant terry garr was
1:47am
also nominated for the best actress. the world loved terry. the genius, it was that kind of movie everybody saw and loved it. and just about everybody involved with it got nominated for an oscar, but the movie almost didn't get made. because dustin hoffman had trouble believing that he would convincingly play a man playing a woman in a world that really would be fooled into thinking that he was a woman. he explained his worry, in an interview that is gaining new life these days. >> i did go to columbia. and i asked them if they would spend the money to do makeup tests so that i could look like a woman.
1:48am
and if i couldn't look like a woman they would agree not to make the movie. and they said what do you mean? i just somehow felt that unless i could walk down the streets of new york and not have people turn and say who is that guy in drag? or turn for any reason that you know, who is that freak, unless i could do that i didn't want to make the film. i didn't want the audition to suspend their believability. and there is that woman walking down the streets of new york. ♪ ♪ >> tootsie, one of the greatest comedies ever, or was it? ♪
1:49am
>> tootsie, one of the greatest comedies ever, or was it? the screenwriter was one of the great comedy writers of all time. and the film was funny from beginning to end. but years after making the movie, dustin hoffman explained why for him it was not a comedy. >> i said now i have me looking like a woman. now, make me a beautiful woman. because i thought i should be beautiful if i was going to be a woman. i would want to be as beautiful as possible. and they said to me, that -- is as good as it gets. that is as beautiful as we can get you. charlie. and it was at that moment that i had an epiphany, and i went home to my wife and said i have to make this picture, and she said why.
1:50am
i said i think that i'm an interesting woman if i met myself on screen. and i know if i met myself at a party, i would never talk to that character because she doesn't fulfill physically the demands that women have to have in order for us to ask them out. she said what are you saying? and i said there is too many interesting women i have -- i have not had the experience to know in this life because i have been brainwashed. and -- that was never a comedy for me. vo: traveling you definitely end up meeting a lot more people but a friend under water is something completely different.
1:51am
i met a turtle friend today so, you don't get that very often. it seemed like it was more than happy to have us in his home. so beautiful. avo: more travel. more options. more personal. whatever you're looking for expedia has more ways to help you find yours. because what you dont know can hurt you.urance, what if you didn't know that it's smart to replace washing-machine hoses every five years? what if you didn't know that you might need extra coverage for more expensive items? and what if you didn't know that teen drivers are four times more likely to get into an accident? 'sup the more you know, the better you can plan for what's ahead. talk to farmers and get smarter about your insurance. ♪ we are farmers bum - pa - dum, bum - bum - bum -bum ♪
1:52am
congestion, for it's smog. but there are a lot of people that do ride the bus. and now that the busses are running on natural gas, they don't throw out as much pollution to the earth. so i feel good. i feel like i'm doing my part to help out the environment. up next, the three young women held hostage in a house in cleveland, they -- since they were teenagers. they're speaking out for the first time. you're going to see that next. asional have constipation, diarrhea, gas, bloating? yes! one phillips' colon health probiotic cap each day
1:53am
helps defend against these digestive issues... with three strains of good bacteria. [ phillips' lady ] live the regular life. phillips'. the ones getting involved and staying engaged. they're not afraid to question the path they're on. because the one question they never want to ask is "how did i end up here?" i started schwab for those people. people who want to take ownership of their investments, like they do in every other aspect of their lives. vietnam in 1972. [ all ] fort benning, georgia in 1999. [ male announcer ] usaa auto insurance is often handed down from generation to generation. because it offers a superior level of protection and because usaa's commitment to serve military members, veterans, and their families is without equal.
1:54am
begin your legacy, get an auto insurance quote. usaa. we know what it means to serve.
1:55am
michelle knight was kidnapped in august of 1992, when she was kidnapped. amanda berry was kidnapped when
1:56am
she was 16 years old. and gina dejesus was kidnapped when she was only 14 years old. two months ago they were suddenly freed from the secret prison where they were being held by ariel castro. they have refused all requests for interviews since they were freed. but last night they posted a video where we hear them speak for the first time. >> first and foremost, i want everyone to know how happy i am to be home with my family and friends. it has been unbelievable. i want to thank everybody who has helped me in my family through this entire ordeal. everybody who has been there to support us has been a blessing to have such an outpouring of love and kindness. i am getting stronger each day.
1:57am
and having my privacy has helped hugely. i ask that everybody continue to respect our privacy and give us time to have a normal life. >> i would say thank you for the support. i just want everyone to know i'm doing just fine. i may have been through hell and back, but, i am strong enough to walk through hell with a smile on my face. and with my head held high. and my feet firmly on the ground. walking hand in hand with my best friend? i will not let the situation define who i am. i will define the situation. >> joining me now is ed smart, whose daughter, elizabeth smart, was kidnapped in 2002 and found nine months later. ed, what is your reaction to seeing that video with your understanding of what these kinds of experiences can be like in some ways? >> you know, i just cheer them, all three of them. i think they have done an
1:58am
outstanding job. and how important it is for them to have their privacy. i think it was great that they decided to come forward and say thank you, and let people know that they're okay. and that they're moving on with their life. and i -- i just have to smile as i hear michelle, because i think it reminds me so much of elizabeth, that you know i am not going to let this define the rest of my life. and i think that is really the key in their healing and in their moving on with life. is determining that you know, this episode as horrific as she -- as it was mentioned, was just walking through hell, is not going to define the rest of their lives. and i think that is just outstanding. i applaud them.
1:59am
i wish the very best for them. the -- you know, the road to healing and happiness and to life for them is very individualistic, there is you know, not a one size fits all in that path. but i think finding and reconnecting with people, being able to have those relationships and being able to trust again, i think that is the biggest issue, is learning to develop a trust with your friends, with your family, with other people that you come in contact with. you know, to have been violated and put through such hell for so long, you know, to be able to trust someone and to develop that -- that new normal relationship is i think, key to healing and key to being able to move on. >> ed smart, thank you very much for that important last word tonight, thank you, ed smart. >> thank you.

Terms of Use (10 Mar 2001)